A common method for getting rid of any pest is the use of chemicals to kill them. Many people don’t realize that chemical treatments are poisonous and considered very dangerous to human and environmental health. Organizations like the Center for Disease Control and the Environmental Protection Agency recognize the dangers of pesticide use and recommend alternative treatments whenever possible. You should speak to a professional before treating with chemicals because there are safer treatment methods. Here are several details you need to consider:
- You shouldn’t use outdoor pesticides in your home, and you must strictly follow product recommendations. More isn’t always better, and if you use more than recommended it could make your family very ill.
- Hire someone who has experience using chemical treatments, and check that they’re licensed and certified. Ask to read the labels of whatever is applied in your home.
- Pesticide poisoning is a real danger and you should know the signs. Look out for signs of headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and muscle tremors affecting any family members or guests. Children are a high poison risk because they tend to put items in their mouth. Call your poison control center or 911 right away if you think someone in your home is experiencing pesticide poisoning symptoms.
- Pets can be harmed by these chemicals because of their smaller body size. Monitor your household pets after an application, and if they seem sick to take them to the vet right away.
Even though these chemicals can get rid of bed bugs, it can still take up to 3 applications for a fully successful treatment – making the chemical treatment a possibly costly and time-consuming method. Even worse, many bed bugs have developed a resistance to certain chemicals meaning chemical treatments are not always reliable.
Be sure to view our services and give us a call if you have any questions about safer and more effective bed bug treatment methods.